Monday, November 12, 2012

The Next Big Thing


Wonderful fellow author, Mary Martinez was kind enough to tag me in an ongoing game of The Next Big Thing, a blog circle where authors have a chance to discuss their current Works in Progress/what they’re currently working on now. So, on to the post!

The Next Big Thing:

What is your working title of your book?
Better She Die is a first of the three Silver Sage Creek Saga books.

Where did the idea come from for the book?


The early years during the 1800s have always intrigued me and I’ve always known that I would someday write a historical western novel. I enjoy watching western movies which are few. One of my favorite is Kevin Costner in Dances with Wolves, Open Range with Annette Bening, and of course the TV series Lonesome Dove with Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones. I’m not sure where the idea for my book actually came from, or if was inspired by any movie, maybe a combination of all the women in many of the movies and books.

What genre does your book fall under? Historical western women fiction/romance

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Hmm, that’s a question that I had to think about for a while.  I think I would like Emily VanCamp (TV series Revenge) to play Clare Rose Coulson. Anson Mount (Hell on Wheels) would be the perfect Texas Ranger, Captain Drury Burchett, and the Comanche Chief, Chakotay would be Michael Spears.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?  


After living with the Comanche band for four years, Clare Rose Coulson’s return to the white man's society is a struggle, especially with her half-breed baby. 

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?  Unknown at this point. I’ve submitted my manuscript to a publisher, now, it’s wait and see!

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? Off and on, probably six months to complete the draft, while editing another story.


What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? 


Hmm, I’ll have to think on that question. Jo Goodman is one of my favorite historical western authors, but I can’t think of a title that would be compared to my story.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
During the historical days of the 1800s women were caught between the white man’s need to conquer the west and the Indians’ struggle to keep a culture from extinction. In Better She Die, Clare Rose Coulson, to survive in such harsh territory, learned to be tough and resilient in order to endure living under conditions that demanded so much of her physical and mental moral fiber, as did many women of that era.

I’ve tagged these writers to join in the game!

Please tune into these blogs the week of November 19-23 to check out their posts!

While you’re waiting for those new posts next week, be sure to visit Mary Martinez (http://marysbooksblogger.blogspot.com ) who tagged me, as well as any other participants in The Next Big Thing. Have questions about my current work in progress, Better She Die? Leave ‘em in the comments!

 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for tagging me, Judy!

    Better She Die sounds amazing. I can imagine it would have taken a LOT of research! I hope you get it contracted very soon, because I can't wait to read it!! :)

    I love westerns. My dad--rest his soul--absolutely loved them, so they always remind me of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Monique
    I look forward to your blog and hearing about what you're working on - thanks for tagging with me. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with the publisher. It sounds like a story they shouldn't pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kim, looking forward to your blog

    ReplyDelete

Writing Tips










________________

Add this to your site