Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Thankful Season

Every time I start a new book, I go brain dead, as if I’ve never written a book! Does that happen to you?


I’ve been doing lots of research and finally started a draft of the story that’s been swimming in my thoughts for a long time. As things go for now, I’ve written four different beginnings!

I guess I can say that’s a start.

After digging through my Resource files, I found my file on Story Board. I don’t remember where or which conference I learned about the story board, it’s been too long ago, but it helped me. It might help you. Or not.


Never stop learning.

By the way, I have finished half of my draft with the help of the story board.
Here’s what I learned from Story Board


Build emotions to and away from turning points
Plot and write to and away from the turning points – escalate scenes
Think: Motivation then Reaction
Build scenes from each square on the grid so conflict is illustrated
Include scenes showing WHY
Every scene must work on two levels: External and Internal

Turning Points are changes in which your character is forced to into action.
A Turning Point leads to a setback causing a Black Moment.
A Final Turning point embraces the Black Moment (jeopardy, fears cause of emotional pain, etc), then Realization (the theme of the book, a need to realize before overcoming the Black Moment).

NEWS:

The Quartering Act, Revolutionary War Romance

A Re-release to be AVAILABLE December 1, 2019 

The painful road of time, separate lives, and war require determination and courage for two enemies to embrace a love so powerful and forbidden.

Katherine Heaton, a young patriot woman, stares into the eyes of the Redcoat officer standing over her father’s lifeless body Stunned at what she has just witnessed, there is nothing she can do when the soldiers haul her brother away for hanging a British Stamp Agent. Devoted to her brother, and the cause, she will help him fight for independence.

Captain Jeremy Burke, officer in the King’s army, arrives in the New World and discovers the colonies have an elegant simplicity that surprises him, especially the beautiful Heaton woman. He has never had a problem with self-discipline, until now.


For those of you celebrating Thanksgiving, I hope you have a wonderful day with family and friends. I’m sad to say we’ll only have eleven around our table this year. My son’s job promotion moved him to Tucson, Arizona and my number one granddaughter, Nattie, has to work. But, as always we’ll enjoy hubby’s yummy turkey and all the trimming. 

I have so much to be thankful for, especially friends like you that support me in my writing.


 Judy


If you would like a pdf of the Story Board Grid, just email me.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing Tips










________________

Add this to your site