Thursday, March 26, 2009

Accomplishments

As I look back at 2008, I realize how fast the year went, is it because we live in a state of constant motion? Each day we have reminders of what we have on our plates. I get up early every morning, have my first cup of coffee, or two, and then, write a To Do List for the day. Yup, I’m a list person. There was a point in my life where my list would grow longer as Friday approached. I finally learned not to stress if something on that list was not completed. Oh, it’s taken me years to learn to accept not being superwoman and realize that I can only accomplish what I can do in the hours given. Of course, now that I’m old…uh…err, I seem to have slowed down a bit, making my list shorter. Too bad we have to add some years before we become a little wiser.

I have a great sense of accomplishment for that forever gone 2008, especially in my writing career and in my personal life. I signed a contract for my American historical, The Quartering Act, polished two short stories to submit in 2009, and completed a whole manuscript, my first romance suspense. All this makes me excited for 2009. Are you?

Let me share this small personal thought with you. I’m still not sure why I write these stories, but they’re in my head and want to be written. Sometimes, I get so discouraged at trying to find the words to describe a scene, but can’t, and after awhile, I finally admit to God that I can not do this without His help. Before I know it, the words are on the screen staring back. So I keep writing.

My husband, Brett, and I decided to start camping early 2008. Our thoughts were to get out of the hustle and bustle of city life. We decided to try this new adventure, so we purchased a trailer – of course, I needed a real bed, bathroom, stove, microwave, TV, fridge, heater & air conditioner-oh yeah, generator or electricity of some kind. I guess all this makes us RVer’s and not campers! So be it. Well, to make a long story short, Brett, Teal’c (our dog), and I took off on our first camping trip. To our surprise, we loved it.

During our summer getaways, I was able to take my laptop and write with nothing drawing my attention elsewhere, you know what I mean-all that stuff that happens at home and at work, in other words, everyday life. Not only did I do lots of writing, but my husband and I talked for hours, sat around a campfire with a glass of wine and watched the stars come out (I’m a stargaze, but that another store), took long walks during the day with Teal’c, and oh yeah, laughed and smiled a lot. This is the sweet life. But, as you know, Monday mornings arrive all too soon, and I’m pulled back into the work routine and its responsibilities, no matter how great the job. Oh, yes, did I forget to mention dealing with all the quirky issues that go on within my dysfunctional family. We can’t stop those things from happening, but we can take the time, and should, to reunite with each other and nature. If you support yourself, your writing will show it.

I share this with you to wish you the best during this New Year in all that you want to accomplish. Take a moment to enjoy life to its fullest; don’t let yourself get so caught up in the crust of life that you forget to stop and “smell the roses.” Try it and you just might discover that your writing will bloom larger than you expected. My dear writing friends and readers, take care of yourselves, so that you might care for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing Tips










________________

Add this to your site